How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2711
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I have two issues concerning a house purchase and mortgage.

Customer Question

I have two issues concerning a house purchase and mortgage. Both seem intwined. I belief I was mis-sold a property by my local housing authority in as much as a structural fault was not disclosed, despite the property being part of a planned renovation scheme, also as to the extent of disrepair to the property which should have rendered the dwelling uninhabitable. Further, I purchased the property with the belief that I would be able to fufill the terms of the mortgage. This proved imposssible due to condition of the property when I applied for an equity releae plan to redeem the mortgage. Secondly, I have found that my mortgage application and a buildings insurance application were fraudulent, not only because of the above, but also because the purchase price had been misrepresented by a broker and the mortgage provider, plus the initial advance had been forwarded to a solicitor other than the one nominated by me, through which a substantial sum of money has been misappropriated. I am being expected to pay back the wholse sum with interest. No account is being taken of an interest overpayments issue when I ask for a redemption figure. Also, I foun d my income to have been altered on the mortgage application form. I currently feel trapped in a mortgage the vailidity of which I sincerely ***** ***** the above. I am having difficulty obtaining legal advice in N. Ireland with the involvement of the local housing authority, because of a conflict on interest issue involving the authority and ocal legal firms on retainers. The Financial Ombudsman Service seems more interested in serving the needs of the mortgage provider than in helping me.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have kept all of documenation and have raised complaints with the local authority and the FOS. All I am getting is I suppose plausable denialbility on the condition of the property at time of sale, with an FOS view that I should pay apparently whatever sum the mortgage provider asks.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I cannot find one because of the conflict of interest issue. Even the local NI Law Centre will not advise me, duen to its links with the local authority.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The mortgage term officially ended in December 2018. I had been unable to that point to fulfill the mortgage terms so things have been pretty musch in limbo since then. Required renovations on the property did not begin until sixteen years after the purchase as an extra sum of money on top of the purchase price had to be paid to a contractor before he would start work. The sum was eventually covered by a charitable organisation. I had not been told of thiis extra expense prior to purchase. It is almost as if I was being blackmailed.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm what exactly is your question?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Without an answer to my question I can only give a general answer. Unfortunately you will need to take this matter to court for a judge to decide the outcome. You may need to search for a lawyer away from your area. There will be someone who can help you. Best wishes