AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

The tiles in my bathroom cracked after the grout started to

Customer Question

Hi, the tiles in my bathroom cracked after the grout started to come off and caused a leak in the room underneath. The grout was replaced only partially by a contractor paid by the landlady, but the tiles cracked a few weeks after. I am due to leave the property in 6 weeks, however I am concerned that I might not get my deposit back. I do not know what caused the crack but it appeared progressively after the repair. Prior to this, I had been living in this house for 1.5 years with no issues. Are there chances I might lose my deposit?
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Alison, great thanks. Nothing to add

May I ask if you know whether the deposit you gave is protected?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
it is protected with DPS

Generally, your landlord can't take money from your deposit to fix any damage caused by a repair they didn't do when they should have.

Just in case there will be a deduction in which you will not agree, you can raise a tenancy deposit dispute with the deposit scheme guarding the deposit. An appointed adjudicator will review the case and decide how the deposit is apportioned to the parties in dispute.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks. Would it be better to be honest and say that I do not know how the damage happened? Or is there a better wording to use?
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 12 days ago.

It would be better to be honest considering that a repair was made before the tiles cracked few weeks after which is beyond your control.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Noted, thank you very much

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future if you have further enquiries.

Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.