james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Can I be sued for pulling out of a house sale? I have not

Customer Question

Can I be sued for pulling out of a house sale? I have not yet exchanged contracts
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Just accepted the offer, j understand that the buyer have begun paying for surveys and such
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  james bruce replied 12 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Situation- I spoke to an owner of a property who put his house for sale. He received an offer and accepted. However, when I spoke to the owner and declared my interest and offer, he wanted to proceed in selling his property to me. When he notified his estate agency they told him that this was not allowed and that he could be sued for gazumping, even though they have not exchanged contracts yet. I am also dealing with the same estate agency. So my question is where do we both stand from a legal standpoint? Thanks in advance

You will be pleased to hear that until "exchange of contracts" have taken place, either party, that is the buyer or seller can pull out without being held liable.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

The estate agent is as they say talking from their you know what. Most likely to scare the seller in case they loose commission.

In English law there is no law to deal with gazumping. It is not illegal and s explained any side can pull out until exchange of contracts has taken place.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you James.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is it possible to have that on a word document?

Sorry I dont use Microsoft. I am Mac user which is why sent in PDF.

Give me a minute and I will see what I can do.

Sorry I confused your question with another.

I though you were asking about a form I sent.

What are you asking for,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry, I am asking if you have provided in terms of the legal advice can be formulated via document and sent over?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Sorry that is not possible, you would need to print for your emails