How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7897
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have a room rented without a contract. the person who

Customer Question

Hello. I have a room rented without a contract. the person who rented me the room lives in the same house. he has rented the house to him and has a contract in his name. I entered the house on January 19th this year and every month on the 19th I pay the monthly fee and I never missed payment. on the 30th of july, that is 2 days ago, he told me that I should leave the house on the 19th of august because he and his wife who were separated have already made up and wants to go home and so I have to leave. My question is if I have to leave on the 19th of August or by law I am entitled to more time until I find a house for myself. the time between him notifying me and the departure date is 20 days
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Northampton Northamptonshire
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

As you rent a room in the property where the landlord lives, you are classes as a Lodge and therefore an excluded occupier. This means that you do not have tenancy rights and the landlord does not need to obtain a possession order to remove you.

They do however need to give reasonable notice. This would be the equivalent of how you pay rent. So if you pay monthly then a months notice.

Once the correct notice has bee given then at the end of that the landlord can lock you out.

So speak to the landlord and advice him that as you pay rent monthly he must give a months notice.

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

It means they go back to prison and serve the rest of the original sentence.

Recall can be a fixed 28 day recall and then they are released again, or a standard recall means they serve the rest of the sentence unless parole board grants release again.

Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.

Please ignore last message screen changed as I was teeing not for you.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok, I got it. can you tell me please what reasonable notice will be. thanks
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.
as previously explained, reasonable notice is the same period as per paid rent. So if rent is paid weekly the a weeks notice, if rent paid monthly then a months notice.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if he insists that I have to leave before that time what are my options?
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.
Tell them they are making an illegal eviction as lack of notice and you will repeat to the police