How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 17429
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I sent a recorded delivery letter with red to the consumer

Customer Question

I sent a recorded delivery letter with red to the consumer contracts regulations 2013 to the address of the contractor. It has been returned not at that address's?? What do I do now
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: TF2 7LD
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet thdt was the letter giving him 14 days to rectify the matter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He has also done dodgy work for my neighbour who has also sent him a letter
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

If the work was not carried out properly then the Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies in this situation.

You can demand they return to rectify any faults but the problem would be if they ignore you - you can then claim a refund or you could get someone else in to finish the work and if there are extra costs, pursue the contractor for those.

I don't know if the contractor is a sole trader, or they are a director, or if they run a partnership. If they are a director then their company's registered address can be found here:

You would need a process server to send the letter and have them sign for it. Alternatively if the contract has moved then you need to trace them.

There are tracing agencies who can do the above for you - most are run by ex Police and operate on a no trace no fee basis. Their trace fee is low in any event and you can add it on to the sum you want to claim from the contractor.

Here are a selection of tracing agencies you could approach :





Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,