Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I live on a residential park and pay pitch fee and water to

Customer Question

Hi, I live on a residential park and pay pitch fee and water to the owner. A new company has bough the park and my pitch fee and water has increased. But they say it hasn't because they go by calander month. After doing some sums they are adding a percentage payment each month of a month payment divided by 12. Can they do this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North East England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I received email from them this morning and contacted them after and talked to the account person who sent the email. She agreed that the weekly sum I'm paying is correct but says they use calander months system for payments. I'm paying 149.60 pm, £140.00 pitch fee and 9.60 water. She agrees with this. But is charging £162.07 per month, 151.67 pitch fee and10.40 water. If you times the increase by 12 you get £149.64 which is basically what I'm paying per month now. So it's like they are charging me an extra month to what I'm paying now. Can they do this?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She agreed the previous owner said my pitch fee was £35 per week and my water was £2.40 per week.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 10 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm is there a contract in place?
Hi, thank you for your message. Without an answer to my question I can only give a general answer. You will need to check the contract and point out to them sections that support your case. They should not be charging you the extra sum. Best wishes