How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4309
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

We have had a family bereavement and need to gain access to

Customer Question

Hi we have had a family bereavement and need to gain access to the house where they lived to find any will and paper work. How can we gain access legally. we are the next relative related .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Registered the death and informed telusonce
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else as we need to access the house to find any documents and if there is a will
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Still waiting for a reply ?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Are you an executor of the estate?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I am the executor of the estate .
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m ok with the email reply. We just want to know if it’s legal to gain entry to the house, to see if there is a will there and other paperwork so we can the go to probate .
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Just to understand, how do you know if you are the executor if you don't know if there is a Will?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We are the only relative, so would assume that someone has to action the probate stage .
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Yes, that is correct, however you are not automatically and executor.  You would need to apply to become the administrator of the estate.  Once  you have done this,  you should be allowed entry to the property.  If this is a rented property you can gain entry from the landlord or agency, alternatively you will need the keys from the previous owner.   You will want to check the value of the estate, however you should not clear the house until such times as the probate is done.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.