JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I sold my property in Sep 21 and provided my utility company

Customer Question

Good afternoon.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I sold my property in Sep 21 and provided my utility company with a final meter reading. They have still not provided me with a final bill but instead have threatened to take legal action as I have not provided them with the details of the new owner/occupant. Do they, under GDPR rules, have the right to this information or would I be breaking GDPR rules by providing it?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not by me. I have received several letters from them asking for the information. I am now constantly receiving letters from a collection agency saying that I am still responsible for the provisional of gas/electricity for the property even though it has been sold.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of thank you.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

GDPR would apply to you if you were a business (it gives individuals rights against businesses if there are any data breaches).

So it would not apply to you personally however, you should contact the new owner of the property to inform them of this situation and ask them for their permission to send your details on - and unless they agree and/or pay what is owed since you moved out, you will claim any costs from them if you are sued for this. You can give them the utility company's details and also the debt collection company's details too.

Clearly, legal ownership of the property has passed and you are not liable for the charges since the date of sale.

Finally, the utility company / debt collection company can easily find out the new owner's details from either the electoral roll or by applying for a copy of the deeds online (which costs £3) - here is the site :

So you could send a copy of the title register to them (which is freely available and is a public record) to the utility company and debt collectors. The title register will show the date of the sale in September 2021.

Here is a link for obtaining the title deeds : https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land/copies-of-deeds

And another : https://www.land-search-online.co.uk/information/how-do-I-find-the-deeds-to-my-house/

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for that. Now that I have your response there may be another item which needs to be considered. The property was over three floors. The ground floor being a shop with my family living on the upper two floors. My wife ran the shop and I believe the bills for utilities were in her name (and therefore the company name). Does the approve still apply or is it different as the utilities were provided to a business rather than a private individual?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Typing is fine - but thank you for offering.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hi, thanks if the bill was in a company name then GDPR would in fact apply, yes.

As GDPR applies to companies - they are data controllers though the copy title register can still be sent as I mentioned before - as they are public documents.

If in any doubt you can ask the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) for confirmation on 0303(###) ###-####

They also have a "live chat" facility on their site - you can visit it here: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Many thanks for the information. I have given a 5 star rating.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

My pleasure, thank you