MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Can i charge my tenants for cyclical works or do I have to

Customer Question

Can i charge my tenants for cyclical works or do I have to cover the cost myself?
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: Cheshire and the tenants have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think that's it. I want to recharge the cost via service charges but need to make sure that this is legal?
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 6 days ago.
Good afternoon thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a practising solicitor with several years experience and I will be assisting you today. Please note that this is a Q and A platform and no lawyer client relationship is created.  A landlord cannot charge tenants to carry out regular maintenance and repair to the property unless the tenants caused the damage to the property.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can I charge for major works such as upgrades to door entry and heating systems?

No tenants in an AST would not be responsible for heating systems or door works.

Do you have any follow up questions?
Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me further.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can we recharge for communal furniture purchased at tenants request?

If the tenants specifically request furniture I would advise providing some formal agreement so that they agree to cover the costs of the same.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 5 days ago.
Glad to be off assistance.