TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

I just signed a lease rental agreement for new flat but due

Customer Question

Hey I just signed a lease rental agreement for new flat but due to unforeseen circumstances I don’t want to move in anymore
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Will anything happen to me due to this sudden change
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: London I signed the contract but haven’t given deposit
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nope that’s it to be honest
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

Hello, what would be the move in date?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
26th of August
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

Did you sign an assured shorthold tenancy?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I did
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
But haven’t paid deposit or anything
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

And when should the deposit be paid under the contract? By the move in date?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They’ve asked for it early but on the contract it says 26th
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

And what would be the "unforeseen circumstances" that you mentioned?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m in hospital with a very difficult pregnancy with many complications I won’t be able to move and sort everything out in time
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

When did you sign the contract?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yesterday
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

And you were hospitalised today?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

Can you please provide the clarification requested?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry I don’t understand can you elaborate
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

You say the contract was signed yesterday.

And that you are in hospital.

So I asked if you were admitted to hospital today.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
today
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

And what makes you think that you will be hospitalised for long? Did the doctor say you have to stay in hospital until when?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 15 days ago.

This service is not meant for legal advice, but I do not think that your current circumstances may represent an even classified as "force majeure" and could justify walking out of a contract signed only yesterday.

I recommend that you speak as soon as possible with a solicitor for legal advice on the situation, and they will assess your circumstances and see if you might find a way to avoid a possible liability.

There are still more than three weeks until the commencement date of the tenancy, and maybe your solicitor will be able to negotiate a termination by mutual agreement, even more if a replacement tenant can be found.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.