How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2069
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My neighbour has replaced the boundary fence with a wall,

Customer Question

My neighbour has replaced the boundary fence with a wall, and this wall has a window with obscured glass. The window also opens inwardly into their home. Is this allowed?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

May I know who owns the boundary fence? If the fence is owned by them, then yes, it is allowed for them to change it. However, if the fence was owned by you, then you must contact your local authority about this matter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They own the boundary fence, although my issue isn't that they have built a wall. Although it opens into their property, the face that someone is able to access my property from their window makes me feel uncomfortable.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Have you reached out to your neighbour about this issue?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We are in the midst of a very large dispute. The party wall surveyors have awarded me over £10k due to the damage he has caused under the notifiable works.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was wondering if there are any regulations that you know about which state that they can not have an opening window on the ground floor below 1.7m which opens.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (3P5PZ6G)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is what they have planning approval for
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
approx 1m away from my wall. Surely that can’t be allowed?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

It would be advisable to instruct an surveyor to provide a report. Thereafter if they agree you can then take enforcement steps.

I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What kind of surveyor do I instruct?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I spoke with an enforcement officer from Barnet council and she said it’s allowed.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I find it hard to believe….
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.
A building surveyor would be the best option however they may not report any different to that of the enforcement officer.