How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4324
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I was a commercial tenant the landlord has forfeited the

Customer Question

I was a commercial tenant the landlord has forfeited the lease? I am an accountant and have all my clients paperwork in the leased premises how do I retrieve now the landlord has changed locks and forfeit the lease?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: In the Uk
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: delay in rent payment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just want to clarify if I can collect my clients goods/paperwork and what are my rights
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will wait, thanks
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for using just answer i will be assisting you today.
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 15 days ago.

Just a few quick points:

  1. I am a solicitor in England and Wales with experience in a wide range of matters.

  2. I will respond to your enquiry as soon as I am able to. If I do not reply right away please bear with me as it may be because I am dealing with another client or I am offline. I will respond as soon as I am able to.

  3. This is a question based/information sharing platform and i cannot legally represent you or act on your behalf.

  4. I may ask you some clarifying questions to help me answer your question as best i can.

I will now deal with your enquiry and assist you as best i can.

Kind regards

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 15 days ago.

Your client needs to request access from the landlord to obtain any documentation as the landlord will not communicate with you directly. You should request your client write to the landlord or their solicitor and propose a time and date to obtain access for any paperwork.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi many thanks the lease is in a pension fund name and they have opted to forfeit the lease. The bailiff gave the only set of keys to the a person who has now gone away for a week. At present I can access my clients files and now struggling to work what are my rights and as the lease was in the name of a pension fund the landlord do I have any remedies? Please let me know if we can speak as I know this is technical
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 15 days ago.

If you wish for a call i will opt out to allow an available expert to assist you. Please bear with us whilst we find a suitable expert.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 15 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you by the end of the evening.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist ifi in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Thank. you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for the question, in the first instance you will need to try and resolve this from the landlord.  If you named in the fund you are acting on its behalf, so the landlord cannot prevent you from obtaining your own property.   If the landlord proves to be difficult, you should write a letter before action.  This can state you will take legal action to obtain your property, if you need to do this you could look at claiming against them for your legal costs.  In addition you can state that if their actions cause any loss of earnings, you can claim for this too.   I would let your client's know there is a delay in service but do not suggest their information is subject to a data breach.  IF that was thee case you would need to report the breach to the ICO.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Many thanks for your reply.If possible I have two more questions:-
1) The lease is in the name of a Pension Fund and a a third party has taken the set of new keys of the bailiff when peaceable entry was made. As the lease is in the Pension fund and managed by an agent does this mean that the unknown third party who is currently away and has the keys helped in my claim for loss of earnings as no access to the property at present?
2) There are gold fish(belongs to my children) in the property small thing I know but as no access to feed it what recourse is there as again it is looking like it will be 12 days before anything can be sorted for access?Many thanks for all your help
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

I can offer further time, or you could post a new question.