AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I missed a hearing yesterday for possession of my council

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I missed a hearing yesterday for possession of my council home for rent arrears
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: I've been burying my head I suffer really bad mental health
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Luton
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can't lose my home it will send over
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Alison thankyou for your response
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No

Can you please tell me why you missed your hearing?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I thought it was later in August..just got my letters out today to try and deal with it and saw the date was yesterday. I've really struggled with my mental health last 2+years and struggled with everyday living like paying bills I'm currently been referred for bipolar disorder

Have you declared your mental health struggles to the Council?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No that's my problem I don't talk just let it build up
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm currently off sick from work with it

Unfortunately, if you don't pay, you can't stay. Rent and housing charges arrears can lead to eviction. Failure to deal with your arrears after you have been sent an arrears letter may result in you receiving a possession order.

Declaring to the council that you are struggling due to your mental health, they can give you considerations either to give you a payment plan or offer you empathy and leniency to pay your rent.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

You will have to talk with the Council on this one and explain your situation. There is no other way going about it.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No that's it thankyou

Good luck with the Council.

Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future if you have further enquiries.

Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.