Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am a freeholder of a converted house, upstairs and

Customer Question

Hi, I am a freeholder of a converted house, upstairs and downstairs flats. There is a term in the lease that says: “The Lessors hereby jointly and severally covenant with the Lessee as follows:”
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Does that mean that both parties are responsible for the terms that follows. For example one states “The Lessors will maintain repair and if necessary renew roof, roof timbers, chimneys, walls, gutters etc etc Bournemouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 days ago.

Do you live in property as well?

and how long have you been freeholder?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am in the bottom floor flat, have owned the property and freehold for 7 years.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 days ago.

Jointly and severally means jointly and individually in full.

It means that the landlord and the tenant are jointly responsible for whatever it is. That would be the cost of doing it and the actual arranging the doing of it.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 8 days ago.

Hello again. If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months. I’m glad that I was able to help. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. Kind regards Stuart