How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5081
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I left my old room on April 8th, but I'm still waiting for

This answer was rated:

I left my old room on April 8th, but I'm still waiting for my deposit. It's been over 3 months now and at this point I'm scared they haven't secured my deposit . Last time I wrote to the agency that made me the contract for the room they said it could take up to 30 days for them to return it (even though it's way past that time frame). I want to take legal action, what do I do, how do I do that and what should I be aware of?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also they haven't been responding to my emails lately
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. If your deposit was secured, the law requires for the landlord to have given you written notice of having done so. The fact that this was not done, does mean that the landlord would have erred and you could sue the landlord for three times the value of your deposit.

If they have not responded to your request, the next step would be to bring a claim in the small claims court for this. You would first be required to write to the landlord to give notice of your intention to claim, the amount being claimed and the basis of your claim. The law also requires for you to give the landlord a minimum of 14 days within which to respond, failing which you can commence proceedings.

If the landlord does not respond or make payment within the time frame stipulated, you may then commence proceedings via the below link:

 Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you! Yes it has! I am just wondering, how do I know if they have secured the deposit?
The landlord is to provide you written evidence of having done so. You may also contact the tenancy deposit scheme to make enquirers. 

Here are their details

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the name Readylaw as a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


ReadyLaw and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you