How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4264
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

The married daughter who lives in Manchester and fourth wife

Customer Question

The married daughter who lives in Manchester and fourth wife who lives in Liverpool are the two executors of the will. Daughter immediately took all papers from the home issuing the wife with a bill for £400 a month as rent for the marital home. Phat, a British citizen born in Thai land gave up her sewing business in Southport on her marriage and the couple started a massage business which was closed when Phat took a sort of franchise in Hearts - a local ladies gym club. The solicitor who is doing the probate and seems to be handling the sale of a large military collection, is very supportive of the daughter and now insists that the daughter has keys to Phat's house. Why? Does a wife have no rights?
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this? What country does she live in?
Customer: She lives in Crosby, Liverpool. The lawyer is handling the Probate.
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: Forgot to say that she has very little money and will be homeless once the house is sold.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Phat has agreed to everything having no other option but resists giving Louise a key.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the quesdotn.   It would not be a case of the wife having no rights, however, if the daughter inherited the house, they have a right to have a copy of the keys.  If this is the matrimonial home and the husband has passed the wife would likely have inherited the house.  However, if there is a solicitor involved they will ensure all legal rights are being adhered to.  If the wife is worried about being evicted down the line, they could look at obtaining a life rent.  This would mean they have the right to remain in the dwelling for life regardless of who owns the property.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you for your advice so far. I apologise that I had urgent commitments and perhaps did not express myself clearly. The will in question left the property and assets (with certain bequests) to the daughter of his first marriage and his current wife. Immediately he died, the daughter visited the home and took away a large quantity of paperwork. There is little we can do about this now. Several weeks later, she issued the wife with a bill for £400 saying that because the house was half hers, the wife should pay her rent. The death was sudden and the wife needed time to grieve. The solicitor has showed favouritism towards the daughter. Probate is now going through. The large military collection has been valued and it is likely that Hampsons will be asked to handle the sale.At present, the wife is extremely poor. Prior to her marriage she had a business but closed it down on her marriage and started up a massage parlour with her husband but this did not work out and she now takes bookings for massages at a ladies only gym.The solicitor is insisting that the wife gives the daughter a key to her home and even suggested that the daughter should visit when the wife intended to go away for a few days holiday at a friend's house.. The solicitor is bullying the wife and disregarding her right to privacy in her own home. We are at a loss why the daughter insists on getting access to the home. The deceased had been married four times.Any further advice would be appreciated.Thank you..
Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 day ago.

Thank you for waiting, I am just dealing with an urgent matter this morning but shall revert to you by this afternoon. Many Thanks.