How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4294
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Do I need planning or Highways approval for entrance onto an

Customer Question

Do I need planning or Highways approval for entrance onto an unclassified road?
I purchased a property set on an unclassified county lane in Monmouthshire. With the purchase came a paddock that was previously part of an agricultural unit. Because of the farm split, the paddock I now own is enclosed and I want to put an entrance in to service the paddock, and to access a GSHP manifold situated within the paddock, installed under permitted development.
The proposed entrance site has excellent visibility both ways and is already set back from the highway by nearly 3m. The grass/dirt verge between road and property is level, hence no work needs to be done to the verge. The entrance use will used for access to maintain the paddock (quad bike/mower), and for service of the manifold with all work on the entrance carried out from the property.
Do I need planning and/or highways approval? Do I need to apply for a section 184 with requirements to provide traffic management even though I do not need to work from the highway, or have the work done, which will take place solely on my property, by a contractor when I would prefer to do it myself?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Provisional discussions with Highways who have supplied me with a section 184 application which includes the request for Traffic management, use of contractors and confirmation that planning has been obtained. This is however a generic form that will also be used for "classified" roads
JA: Where is the farm located?
Customer: Monmouthshire, Wales
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do not believe so, although Highways did indicate that because of limited use, the entrance does not need to be agricultural, just light vehicle, whilst research suggests I do not even need a section 184 and definitely do not require planning permission.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m happy to wait for an answer from a suitable person.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am happy to wait for an answer from a suitable person.
Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 8 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Please continue to see if you can provide an answer. Thank you.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

This is not always the case, however the difficulty is that the roads. bi-laws can change from one local authority form another, therefore quite simply I would advisee speaking with the planners at your local council to see if this is needed.  It may also depend on the extent of the work required to be done.  However, the local authority will be able to provide a definitive answer to this for you. 

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.