james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I'm trying to see where I stand on an issue regarding my

Customer Question

I'm trying to see where I stand on an issue regarding my mums car whom passed. My sister was using my mums car 1 month before my mum passing. Now she is saying my mum gave her the car. Many family members and i asked my mum about the car, her answer was 'I've told her she can use it'. I have told my sister I will take the value of the car off the inheritance money she is due. Can I do this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex/Hertfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: She has instructed a solicitor to sort out the financial side of what she is due. I have a message of her replying say OK to selling the car.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
File attached (2L17P61)
Expert:  james bruce replied 11 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I hope you can help.
Whos name is ***** ***** V5 of the car
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I believe my sister changed the V5 the week after my mum passed

understood, that only shows the keeper anyway.

Unless your sister has proof of being given the car as a gift or sold to her , then yes treat it as loaned ti her. If she wants to keep it, deduct the value form the legacy she would receive.

If she can show proof it was given to her then dont.

But instead you would need to deal with the value of the car a s an asset of the estate that was gifted away.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank your for your help

your welcome, good luck