How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4302
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am planning structural work in my flat but I am unsure who

Customer Question

I am planning structural work in my flat but I am unsure who I need to give notice to under the Party Wall Act.I live in a leasehold flat on the second floor. With 3 other tenants in the building. These 3 tenants, all own a share of the freehold (and I am currently trying to buy a share of it too). I understand I need a licence to alter before works begin.The works involve installing a steel beam the entire width of the flat. From party wall to party wall.The flat is in a house which is terraced. On one side the house is terraced with one owner. The other neighbouring house is split into 4 flats (I am unsure if there is 1 or 4 freeholders. For the questions sake, let us assume there are 4 people own the freehold next door).My question is: When giving notice of work on the party wall of the flats next door. Do I just need to give the second floor flat owner notice as they are the direct neighbour of me. OR do all the owners of the freehold of the flat next door require notice including the second floor flat owner.Thanks
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Thank you I am just reviewing this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** simply advise providing it to all neighbours to remove any ambiguity.   The notice requires to be provided at least 2 months prior the work beginning but cannot exceed one year.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.