How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4308
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

We have a shared pathway between our two terraced

Customer Question

We have a shared pathway between our two terraced properties, (1st floor is connected), and our neighbour has put guttering from the drain to his upstairs bathroom in this shared path that makes the access smaller and he didn't ask any permission, is this allowed? Also he has just built an extension and now also has his backdoor leading straight onto this shared path, is this also allowed?
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We also have a pine tree dispute (not very nice neighbour) where his trees pine needles constantly fall in our garden causing physical pain and damage but this is separate.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Thank you.  I am sorry to hear about this matter.   In the first case you will want to look at the house deeds to see if you actually have ownership of the pathway or just the right to use.   You will also want to check who has responsibly for the maintenance of this and if the own the half they amended.  This will provide information about rights.  If they did not have the right to do this, you could look. t obtaining an order to have this amended.  In terms of their extension, I cannot confirm however, it is likely they would have required planning permission, if this is on their land the it likely they would have had the right to build it this way.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.