TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

We are in a private rental flat, on an introduction only

We are in a private rental flat, on an introduction only basis. We have terminated our tenancy early due to a problem tenant below us. We have given notice which expires on the 15th Aug, we intend to vacate the flat on the 10th Aug. The landlord has informed us that she wishes to see us on the 11th Aug to check the flat over, check meter readings and to receive the keys from us. She has also requested a forwarding address, due to the bad feeling between both parties, we have no desire to see this person. What are our rights?

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Can you clarify what kind of tenancy you terminated?

Was it an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ita assured shorthold tenancy
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Carry on message

The live call is offered by the platform, not me.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thats ok, stay as we are

No letting agent intervened?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The letting agent has had no involvement apart from re letting the flat to new tenants

I mean, they are not in the contract?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, they only showed us the flat, passed on our details to the landlord, who then offered the tenancy to us. When we took the flat, we had to meet the landlords at the flat to sign the tenancy and receive the keys.

I understand you do not feel at ease with the landlord, but I guess that the AST provided for a check-out inventory, and who's going to do that if you do not meet the landlord?

Having a check-out inventory done is in your interest, more than in the landlord's, I would say.

As for the forwarding address, if it was not in the agreement, you could say that you don't know yet where you are moving to (for example, stay with friends or go abroad for the holidays), but, theoretically, you are supposed to provide one in good faith.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I understand your comments, there is a check in inventory and there will be a check out one done as well, its just that we didnt want to see them again. On the other question, do we by law have to provide a forwarding address, we dont want them to know where we are going
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just seen your reply

Are you sure the tenancy agreement does not provide that the tenant must communicate a forwarding address?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They know about our new tenancy, as they were asked for references but they dont know the address.could we supply a care of address

I would say yes.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for that, I am going to go through the agreement to check for forwarding address

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks again

You are most welcome :)