RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I am looking for a quote for a new commercial lease as a

Customer Question

I am looking for a quote for a new commercial lease as a tenant
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: london
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet, we have just started negotiations with the agent
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The estate agent is asking for a holding deposit and fee to be paid in order for the landlord to take the property off the market. Friends who have multiple businesses have said that they have never had to this or even heard of it and we want to know what our legal rights are regarding this and also if it is normal to pay money directly to an agent rather than via a solicitor
Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Thank you,  I don't really see any issue with this, however you will want to ensure that if you do not enter into an agreement in the end you will be refunded your money (minus any "reasonable" costs).  This practice is not really that uncommon, however you will want to provide yourself protection.  By paying the deposit you are showing you are serious about reeling the property.   Once they are satisfied they have an interested party (by receiving the deposit) they will take it off the market so not to have to deal with any further (pointless) enquiries.  They should provide you with a commercial agreement, however if you need one or would like this reviewed, then I could assist with this.  

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your reply. The problem we have is that the agent is staying that if the landlord backs out then we would get a full refund of the holding deposit but if we were to back out for any reason the deposit would be forfeited. I have attached a copy of the draft receipt that the agent sent to us with the T&Cs at the bottom. Many thanks, Ross
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Are you looking for a document review?