How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 12221
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

If someone dies in intestate is it irrevocable. Three

Customer Question

If someone dies in intestate is it irrevocable . Three children had equal shares now the trustee also a beneficiary has put the money into bonds in her own name and says she doesn’t have to give what was the minor beneficiary anything at all . How could she do that ?
JA: Estate laws vary by location. Where are you located?
Customer: Uk
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: Paperwork regarding the sale of the house and named beneficiaries, with the solicitors. The trustee thought they had been destroyed . However I paid 600 pound to have them retrieved from the archive . Can the trustee refuse to pay her her inheritance?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: 0nly that the trustee says there was never a trust and she put the money into bonds in her own name so she doesn’t have to give her anything .
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

Yes intestacy is irrevocable because it means someone died without a Will they cannot make a Will once dead. Regarding the situation it seems to me you need a probate litigation solicitor to look at what has happened in terms of the estate and go from there. I recommend the following:

I trust this assists

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have done this , however the trustee moved address and the solicitor cannot send a letter because she left no forwarding address . Not sure of how to go about finding her new address
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

You would have to hire a private detective to find her I am afraid. In the alternative you could engage a trust lawyer to apply to the court to add a new trustee and remove the existing trustee(s). I trust this assists