How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4279
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

Recently I vacated a flat I was renting and I had it clean

Customer Question

Hi, recently I vacated a flat I was renting and I had it clean by a professional cleaning company (a company that the letting agency had recommended). Now the landlord's report of the flat has come out and they have charged me again for the cleaning (£129). They have also attached a detailed report about that. I spoke to the cleaner, and he is saying he has fulfilled his part according to the contract and my dispute is with the landlord. And to some extent I believe he is right, because he went to clean the flat a second time after the report of the letting agency came out. Landlord is saying my dispute is with the cleaning company. Who is right?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: In Cambrdige
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, the landlord has given a report
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink- or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

If you have the property cleaned professionally and you have provided evidence of that by submitting invoice then Landlord can not charge you again , unless the professional cleaners never went and cleaned the property in the first time)

the onus is on the Landlord that property was not left professionally cleaned by you.

I would advise raising a dispute with the administrator of your tenancy deposit scheme., if your Landlord is trying to charge you again .

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi,Thanks for you r reply.
The letting agency is also saying it is the landlord that I have to speak with.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If the Landlord is trying to deduct the cleaning charges from your tenancy deposit then raise a dispute directly with the Administrator of your tenancy deposit scheme . They can intervene and adjudicate on this matter.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just last question, if none the parties (neither the landlord nor the tenancy agency) didn't agree to this, who is it that I should pursue in court?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

You have to purse with whom you have signed the tenancy agreement with , if you have signed with Landlord then you would claim from the Landlord and  vice versa.

Best wishes.