How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 581
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

I am being evicted as landlord wants to sell what can I do..

Customer Question

I am being evicted as landlord wants to sell what can I do.. Thankyou
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Lawry replied 6 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry you are having this problem.

What sort of tenancy do you have, please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Now it is a rolling .. I’ve been here 9 years
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Rolling .. I’ve been here 9 years
Expert:  Lawry replied 6 days ago.

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy?

Have you received a Section 21 or Section 8 notice?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not yet ..
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Landlord had only just told me of intentions
Expert:  Lawry replied 6 days ago.

Until something concrete happens you do not need to leave.

Some landlords might want to sell their property without any tenants living there. If this is the case for you, your landlord can’t simply ask you to pack your bags, they have to follow set protocol.

Alternatively, they may sell it with you in occupation. Then, your tenancy will carry on, even though the ownership of the property has changed. Whether they like it or not, the new owner must allow you to continue living in the property until your fixed term ends. Also, they must honour any terms originally set out in the tenancy agreement.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok so sit until I receive the letter .. Thankyou ..
Expert:  Lawry replied 6 days ago.

You can deal with the eventual situation in two ways, either kick-up a fuss and refuse to vacate the premises and understandably so, or just roll with the punches and gracefully slide out the door.

Legally, your can remain in the property until the tenancy is legally terminated when you are given appropriate notice.

You are within your rights to allow viewings only when convenient. The landlord and/or agent cannot force entry unless there is an emergency.

In some cases, landlords offer cash settlements to mutually agree on terminating the tenancy.

So by all means, you do have rights in this situation, and you definitely can’t be thrown out without proper notice and a court order.

If you feel it is inevitable and just a matter of time, start looking for alternative premises asap so that you are prepared for any eventuality.

Renting is always temporary anyways, so you would have had to cross that path at some stage.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Lawry replied 6 days ago.

You are welcome.

Best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hello I spoke to a few days ago regarding my landlord selling the property I live in … he has just hand delivered this letter… is this a reasonable letter ? Thankyou
Expert:  Lawry replied 1 day ago.

No to be a valid notice it has to be in the prescribed form.

Customer: replied 20 hours ago.