Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am seeking legal advice for my parents.Wallington, SM6 0TQ

Customer Question

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** I am seeking legal advice for my parents.Wallington, SM6 0TQ
Hate crime to the police has been reported. My parents have moved into this flat located in an over 60 residential property in November 2021. They hold a short tenancy agreement and will be evicted due to other residents behaviour.
My parents moved in a privately rented flat in a Retirement building for over 60s. They moved in the property on November the 12th last year and they have an assured short tenancy agreement for 12 months.
Not long after, problems start.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

What do you wish to know? I see from the email the managing agent are saying no further information has been provided on the alleged racist incidents and no other blocks in the development are managed by them anyway.

Unfortunately they may well be evicted for their breaches. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 9 hours ago.
They have a shared laundry room. Each property has 2 numbers assigned ( 1 for the washing machine, 1 for the dryer) in my parents case, 2 little magnetic nr 6.
When they moved in they have been told by the building manager that they are only allowed to use a machine at the time. My mum followed the rules and act consequently.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Other residents in the building will put their laundry to wash and stick my parents number on their washing machines- at that time, the numbers were stored in the laundry room-.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Same people went complaining to the building manager who, instead of clarifying with my parents if those were their washing, she turned up at my parents door screaming at my mum that she is not following the rules.
My dad heard the animated lady at the door and my parents, together with the building manager went to the laundry room and my parents told her that those were not theirs.You expect the story to end up there. Instead, the building manager reports my parents to the agency from which they are renting.Not long after, as the story carried on repeating itself the building manager tells my parents to keep their laundry numbers in the flat and use them when needed.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
I have to mention that I got in touch with the agency myself telling them how the building manager treated my parents who were at no fault and I have specifically explained to them again that it wasn't my mum using 2 machines at the time.
Not long after, one day my mum, again in the laundry room, was brooming the floor as it full of fluff from the dryers. This very pleasant gentleman walks in, looks at my mum disgusted and tells her that they are looking for cleaners in Sutton, nearby town. To which my mum calmly replied that she is not looking for job, that she is retired. To whom the gentleman replied that then she should be packing her bags and move back to their country.
Obviously, my mum feels totally humiliated by this racist individual that she runs back to the flat in tears.I have to mention that I got in touch with the agency myself telling them how the building manager treated my parents who were at no fault and I have specifically explained to them again that it wasn't my mum using 2 machines at the time.Not long after, one day my mum, again in the laundry room, was brooming the floor as it full of fluff from the dryers. This very pleasant gentleman walks in, looks at my mum disgusted and tells her that they are looking for cleaners in Sutton, nearby town. To which my mum calmly replied that she is not looking for job, that she is retired. To whom the gentleman replied that then she should be packing her bags and move back to their country.Obviously, my mum feels totally humiliated by this racist individual that she runs back to the flat in tears.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
All those incidents have been reported to the agency and recently to the police.
Also during winter time, I get an email from the agency in which they implied that she was attending the laundry room dressed inappropriately. I attach a picture of "inappropriate clothing " my mum was wearing. She was fully dressed underneath the robe.All those incidents have been reported to the agency and recently to the police.Also during winter time, I get an email from the agency in which they implied that she was attending the laundry room dressed inappropriately. I attach a picture of "inappropriate clothing " my mum was wearing. She was fully dressed underneath the robe.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
File attached (QPM2L24)
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
In the meantime, they have found faeces in their washing, other residents throwing rubbish at their door, a man living in flat 20 calling the internal phone in their flat and hanging up over and over again.
Both my parents are decent people dad is an ex paramedic and mum was executive housekeeper in 5 stars Hotel. They treat people with respect but what are they going through since moving there is a total nightmare.
They are both 67 years old and both disabled with mobility issues.
The building has a private parking but many people not living in the building parks there and often my dad was obliged to park far away. In April if I am not mistaken, my dad has the "brilliant idea " to print a piece of paper saying private parking and attached it in the parking. Once again, the building manager comes at him very aggressive not giving my dad even the possibility to explain, and immediately after she reports them to the agency again.
About a month later my parents received an email declaring that it wasn't an official notice but they needed to know that the landlord is not willing to renew their contract because they breach the contract. I attached copy of the letterIn the meantime, they have found faeces in their washing, other residents throwing rubbish at their door, a man living in flat 20 calling the internal phone in their flat and hanging up over and over again.Both my parents are decent people dad is an ex paramedic and mum was executive housekeeper in 5 stars Hotel. They treat people with respect but what are they going through since moving there is a total nightmare.They are both 67 years old and both disabled with mobility issues.
The building has a private parking but many people not living in the building parks there and often my dad was obliged to park far away. In April if I am not mistaken, my dad has the "brilliant idea " to print a piece of paper saying private parking and attached it in the parking. Once again, the building manager comes at him very aggressive not giving my dad even the possibility to explain, and immediately after she reports them to the agency again.About a month later my parents received an email declaring that it wasn't an official notice but they needed to know that the landlord is not willing to renew their contract because they breach the contract. I attached copy of the letter.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
that they expect my parents to give them notice by the 11th of September.
About a month ago, the same "gentleman" who invited my mum back to her country, starts switching of my mum's washing machine. Mum goes down washing machine stopped in the middle of the washing, turned off completely. Not the first time. Mum starts the washing again and on her way back to the flat, she sees this man entering as soon as she exits..she waited 10 minutes and went to check: washing machine off again.
Now we know who is the "culprit". Mum goes back and tells my dad what happened. Dad writes a piece of paper saying "please stop this otherwise we are obliged to call the police "
No flat number, no name, nothing that could identify them.
10 minutes later, the same man turns at my parents door, insulting both of them, telling them that they are hated by everyone in the building, that they have to leave..he tries to enter into the flat, throwing the piece of paper to my mum's face tries to punch my dad
Later on, when my mum go to pick up the washing and she tries to get into the lift, the same man puts himself in front of the lift door and doesn't allow my mum to enter and use the lift.
That is when we went to the police and reported the hate crime.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 hours ago.
Well that is a matter for the property agents I’m afraid. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
This is an harassment and racism coalition between a couple of elements in the building and the building manager with the final goal, driving them out of the property.
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Now the building manager and their management company Millstream are willing to offer mediation. This is absolutely ridiculous.
I would like to know if any grouds to proceed with a civil lawsuit against Girlings, Millstream and the people who racially abused and discriminated my parents for almost a year now with the final goal, driving them out the property
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Sorry Sir with all respect..here no one takes responsibility for anything..the renting agent doesn't get involved because only manages this flat, the managing property they only in charge with managing the owned premises and in the meantime my parents are paying the price
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
I want you kindly to direct me law wise on how to proceed further and initiate a civil lawsuit. Thanks in advance
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
I also intend to involve the press If no one is willing to help me
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Hope you may understand the frustration

If you want to bring a legal case you should complete a claim form using form N1 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

Once done send it to your nearest county court: https://www.gov.uk/find-court-tribunal

You will need to contact them and pay the issue fee.

I trust this assists

Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Thanks a lot
Also in regards ***** ***** agency who emailed my dad saying that he, my dad, needs to give them notice when the agency is the one who refused to extend the contract? Shouldn't be Girlings or the landlord the one who should give my parents notice? Apologies, I am utterly confused

If the contract has ended then yes the landlord/agent would give them notice to leave. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 8 hours ago.

Happy to help take care

Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 8 hours ago.
Last question, for today at least, I promise..sorry..any pro-bono legal Association in London who may help up in the process?

You can try lawworks: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/

I trust this assists