Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I was wondering for a holding depos, i am in London and I

Customer Question

Hi I was wondering for a holding depos
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in London and I was wondering if the estate agenting can keep your holding deposit if you have signed no documentation and it came from your account.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what do you mean sorry?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: filed or reported where?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: ok thanks
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if the question is unclear, i am enquiring wether the estate agent can keep my holding deposit. I was going to rent with my partner and i paid the deposit but i signed no documents only he did.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i sent the money before he was sent the document saying that it was non refundable
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Landlords / agents can ask for holding deposit ( 1 week's rent )to reserve a property.  Holding deposit is asked for reserving the property and before signing of the tenancy agreement . Tenant get the money back if the landlord decides not to rent to them.. However, if the tenant backs out after reserving the property, then they lose the holding deposit.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I never signed any document and i was never told that this was the case before i paid. can they still keep it ?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Yes,  if  you/tenant backs out of the tenancy ( even if nothing is signed) Agent can retain the holding deposit.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok thank you.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

You are welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.