MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My partner has just died -on Saturday last. His estate is

Customer Question

My partner has just died -on Saturday last. His estate is less than five thousand pounds. He left a will naming me his executor. Do I need to apply for probate ? Or indeed pay inheritance tax as there is only the caravan we lived in that we own.
JA: Estate laws vary by location. Where are you located?
Customer: I am in Somerset in Uk in Bawdrip-Fairways International Caravan Park
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have the will he made
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

No. Probate is not generally necessary for small estates. This is because assets valued at up to £5,000 can typically be transferred without the probate procedure.

As a general rule of thumb, if an estate is worth more than £5,000, then it will likely need to go through probate, but in your case, if it's less than £5,000, you don't need to apply for probate.

Currently, probate will generally be required in the following circumstances:

• For distributing the property and assets among beneficiaries where it was owned solely by the person who died.
  • Where any part of estate administration is disputed, there are legal proceedings.
  • Where the person owned stocks or shares in their sole name.
  • Where the amount of money in financial services is over the probate threshold, which could be between £5,000 and £50,000.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 3 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.