ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I have a builder working on an extension and total

I have a builder working on an extension and total renovation of our flat in London. He is weeks behind schedule, refuses to hire the necessary amount of crew to complete on time and has disappeared for the second time, turning off his phone and not answering messages, this time for 4 days. I happened to bump into him on the street last night and he said he had been drinking but would come back today. he didn't. I have a JCT building contract for an owner who has not appointed a consultant. Is the contract worth anything to me at all? He has a 15% deposit plus we have been paying weekly as he completes stages. he hasn't asked for more money for weeks because he hasn't reached the next stage. But my girlfriend is pregnant and we are struggling to find somewhere suitable to rent even at extortionate prices. there is no end in sight for him to finish as no one is at the job for days now. What can I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: london E10 6pp
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
one thing is that at the start of the job there was a problem with the drainage drawings which caused the builder to waste time digging in the wrong place. He agreed to not charge more for the architects mistake but has been using that as leverage ever since on the sliding timescale.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am sorry to hear what you are going through and do understand how frustrating this can be. How you proceed really depends on the ultimate outcome you wish to have. For example if it is that you wish for this contractor to continue the work then your approach to the matter would be more conciliatory. In that, you would have to see whether you both could negotiate a new timeline that is amenable to both of you.

To achieve this, you would have to see whether you are able to undergo some sort of mediation.

If this is not possible, then you would have to consider discontinuing the services of this contractor and seeking to be reimbursed on the basis of him having breached his contract. By all accounts if you were to bring a claim against the builder for a breach of contract it is likely that you would be successful notwithstanding the initial hiccups. All that would be required is for you to demonstrate the different non compliance by the builder with the terms of your agreement.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.