How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4266
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

There was a break-in in the property i rent, i would like to

Customer Question

Hello, There was a break-in in the property i rent, i would like to terminate thecontract for which the landlord agreed, however they are asking me to pay for the re-marketing of the property online. When i checked, i am only liable for the rent until a new tenant is found if i understood correctly? This is in London, Archway
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: London Archway
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes to the police
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink- or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

A fixed term tenancy can be terminated within the term by

Either exercising the break clause ( if there is one in the tenancy agreement)


By surrender of tenancy

If you are tied in fixed term tenancy, then you are bound by the tenancy agreement ,

If you are looking to leave early , then you can surrender the tenancy in favour of a new replacement tenant who can takeover the tenancy from you.

You can ask your Landlord to re-market the property to find a replacement who can take over the tenancy from you.

Please note, existing tenant remain liable for all rent payments till the new tenant takes over the tenancy , in surrender of tenancy and for the re-marketing charges of the property.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 10 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.