Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I am one of 58 residents in an assisted housing complex. The

I am one of 58 residents in an assisted housing complex. The landlord is Optivo based in London. I have been living here for three years whilst others have been here for 8, 10, 12 upto 20+ years. Optivo have only in the last 6 years taken over from a previous landlord (Veridian). I was given a tenancy agreement when I signed up for my flat. This agreement is signed and dated by myself and the scheme manager.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Dwyer House, St Georges Avenue. Erdington , Birmingham.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ? Should the other tenants have been given a new tenancy agreement when Optivo took over?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The residents are not happy that Optivo change things without consulting us first. There are discrepancies with service charges and changes of use to our communal rooms without replacement services or reduced rates

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

what are the things that this new landlord are trying to charge/change and how are they introducing them?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We pay for the use of communal lounge, kitchen, laundry and a utility room that before covid was used by a hairdresser and chiropodist. On the advice of a fire safety company, Optivo decided to use the latter for a new ‘buggy room’, where residents could park and charge up their electric buggies. We were not consulted in this matter, and even though there were other suitable areas to create a buggy store, these were not even investigated. The room they have created is not user friendly in that the angle of the entrance means that you either catch the wall and/or scrape your vehicle.

If ultimately they will not play ball your only recourse is to be Leasehold tribunal. The most common complaints dealt with by the Tribunal who are in respect of management companies not doing things which they should do, doing things which they shouldn’t do, and incorrect billing.

It really is as simple as that.

You need to all start by writing individual letters complaining about whatever it is you are complaining about. Take it from there.

You can also put them on notice that because of the hazard which they’ve created, you will not responsible for any damage to the wall and you will hold them responsible for the damage to the buggies.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help. I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this. It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have Kind regards Stuart

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Stuart

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for replying. I shall be talking to some of the residents involved and get back to you

I am glad to help. No worries. In your own time