How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6368
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Hope you are well today and having a good week so far, I

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, Hope you are well today and having a good week so far
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have a question regarding tenancy law No, no documents were files
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Bristol, uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Im renting from the private landlord and sharing the property with my friend and my one year old son, im unemployed and looking after my son full time. My flatmate has to move out and gave his notice, landlord wants to increase my rent and for me to sign one year contract Ny problem is that im on universal credit and rent would be 1300 pm
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My mane question woyld be, can a landlord evict me if that would result in me and my son becoming homeless?

Hello, how are you today? 

My name is Lea. It would be nice if you could let me know your name, so that I know who I am talking to. I am going to see if I can assist with your query. I may need to ask you additional questions and it is important for you to answer all the questions clearly, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response for your specific legal situation. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Good evening Lea, my name is ***** ***** I'm doing well today, hope same for you.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I confirm that i understood your message

Hello Dee

Sorry to hear about your problem.  Is the rent the landlord is asking for unreasonable for the property?  Are there other properties available for less in the same area?

Have you already started paying the increased rent?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ren is not unreasonable, it's valued at market price. Problem is that because I'm unemployed nobody will rent me new property.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Im in receipt of Universal Credit and it covered my half of the rent, but now as my flatmate is moving out I will have to cover full rent. And new asking price is 1300 om
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It would start on 1st of September
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
But i can not even apply for new housing benefit as i due not have how to prove that my rent will be 1300
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
i even dont know if universal credit would cover that amount

Yes, you'd need a letter from the landlord suggesting the rent is going to increase - and then follow up with the new tenancy agreement in order to claim housing benefit.

It may also be the case that the full rent would not be payable - you need to check with your local authority what the cap is for private rentals in your area for someone in your circumstances (single parent with one child).  Once you know what the cap is, you can let your landlord know and perhaps try to negotiate a lower rent (if the cap is lower than the rent he wants to charge).  The local authority can also talk to the landlord for you if you ask for their help.

Otherwise it is a case of waiting until the landlord serves notice on you and then presenting as homeless to the local authority.  You cannot move out until the landlord serves notice and gets a possession order, otherwise you will be deemed to have made yourself intentionally homeless. But if you are made homeless through no fault of your own, then the local authority will have a duty to assist you with housing.  This can either be helping you to find another private rental, or sometimes even social housing.

In short, the answer to your specific query is yes, a landlord can evict you even if that makes you and your child homeless.

SASH_Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your assistance. That was much helpful. Hope you have a nice rest of your night.

You're very welcome, glad I could assist.

Have a lovely evening.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA! All the best!