MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
110754241

I am a first time buyer and landlord. I bought my property 3

Hi. I am a first time buyer and landlord. I bought my property 3 years ago and as I am expatriated I immediately enlisted a letting agent to manage my property. The first year went well, however the agent himself left the company and the property was taken in by a new agent. This time a new tenant occupied the property. He paid for a couple of months but then stopped. Eventually I was told that he had vacated, however it took over 6 months.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Communication regarding this was very sparse with the agent. I was remortgaging the property and he tried to lie to the broker by saying the property was uninhabited. I corrected this and therefore it forced him to show proof of section 8 or 21, neither of which he had mentioned to me.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Its is in erdington, birmingham. Si far the property has been empty for nearly a year and communication is still difficult. I have asked for copies of communications regarding the section 8 or 21/ council tax etc. He just said he would handle it. I read a review recently saying he was taking rent snd not paying the landlords.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, I have sent an email requesting to cancel our contract. No reply yet. Also Im not based in UK so I have not been able to go there physically.
Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a practising solicitor with several years experience and I will be assisting you today. Please note that this is a Q and A platform and no lawyer client relationship is created. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, have you raised a formal complaint to the letting agent?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi. No I havent raised any complaints yet. I am a first time landlord so Im not sure if this is normal conduct. Also I tried to look up who to complain to or any head office contacts. Its only this particular agency that comes up and only one number that goes to him.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I dont mind a telephone conversation, however I am abroad at the moment.

Thank you for the clarification, what is the name of the lettings agent?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Rodor Lettings

Thank you for the clarification, is this Rodor Lettings based in Birmingham?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

It would appear that the company id registered with the property ombudsman, therefore you should raise a formal complaint to the the company once you have received a final response and if you remain unhappy with the response you should escalate the matter to the property ombudsman using the following link:

https://www.tpos.co.uk/

Do you have any follow up questions?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Its Erdington in Birmingham
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Im sorry, what does that mean?

The Property Ombudsman regulate most letting agents, therefore once you have raised a formal complaint and you are unhappy with the outcome you can escalate the matter to the Property Ombudsman who can make awards of compensation where they see fit.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
OK, thank you.

Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.