ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I don’t think it’s an actual legal question. We have in the

I don’t think it’s an actual legal question. We have in the past had a loan to buy land nearly 30 years ago. National Westminster bank arranged the loan and their name was added to our title. This loan was paid around 20 years ago and we have asked for their name to be removed. They have been contacted since the beginning of June and I have tried to ring this morning and waited 1 hour on the but no response. We are 76 and 77 years old and wish this to be taken our land as we are taking out equity release on the house and the company will not proceed with this mortgage until their name if off the land part of our property. Stress is not the word.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: ? We have only spoken on the phone , my husband has been to the local bank and they filed out a form requesting their name off yet again about two weeks ago, apparently this is a quick job to do, as I spoke with the land registry and they could do it electronically quickly. Our solicitor has been in touch the bank but they will not speak to her as she hasn’t authority
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: hereford
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don’t think so, we bought the house and land back in 1993 and the house was mortgaged and the land was bought by a loan. All paid off years ago. The bank removed the charge on the house recently after being requested by our solicitor but the charge still remains on the land which was paid some 20 Years ago. We have been trying to get this removed since early June, my husband has even been into the local branch and they filled out a form to send to customer security release
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At Chatham .

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. You are correct in that it is a simple procedure for the bank to notify the bank that the mortgage has been paid in full and as such the charge is to be removed. Practically the bank could also give you a letter/document to say the loan has been paid in full which could be accepted by the land registry as proof that they no longer hold a charge over your property.

I am not sure why they have said to your solicitor that they are unable to speak to him/her. All that is required is for you to give written consent to the solicitor to act on your behalf. Ask, your solicitor therefore whether they would like written authorisation to act on your behalf.

The only practical course I could recommend you taking is to write to the bank by way of a formal written complaint with respect to their reluctance and/or delay to act upon this request. Once a formal complaint is raised the bank is mandated to act. If they fail to respond to your enquiry or the resolution is unsatisfactory you may escalate matters to the financial ombudsman for it to review your complaint. In my experience, once a formal written complaint is raised with the bank they tend to be more proactive in their approach.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, I believe a complaint is being forwarded by an employee I have spoken to today and I will ask our solicitor if they would like a written consent to act with the bank in the hope this can be sorted out

You are welcome.