How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2707
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

Me, my late husband and my cousin were renting a three

This answer was rated:

Hello there, me, my late husband and my cousin were renting a three bedroom house together, my late husband and my cousin were in charge of paying our rent until he passed on. When my late husband died l couldn’t continue paying for the rent as l didn’t have money and had no job as l was looking after him when he was terminally I’ll for 6 months. I was also entitled to no benefits as l had just moved to England with my daughter that also happened to be my late husband step daughter. We really strugglers with no money and no food and l was asked to find about £5000 to renew our visa so me and my daughter could get indefinite leave to remain in order to get help . In the meantime l got a job and started working and paying off part of my rent and my cousin paying his . When we got our visa , the council helped us and found us a new accommodation. We have been in this new accommodation since February this year and my husband passed on in October 2020. Today l heard from my cousin that my former landlord is sending all of us to court for rental arrears and because my cousin still lives there and the council are still trying to find him a place to go too they want possession of their house .., the court hearing is been scheduled for the 17th of October… l want to know what my rights are and what l can do since the landlord claims we owe him £23,000 and had my late husband addressed in the court letter too if en though they know he is deceased.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: the property is located in Shepherd’s Bush west London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: When my husband rented the house they were aware that l had no full time job and my husband was in charge of paying the rent . I also didn’t have no credit at the time
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm did you receive a letter from the court?
Joy Nicholas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
we did receive a letter from the court today
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear. If that is the case you should instruct a solicitor in your area to represent you here:
If you do not agree with owing your former landlord money you need to gather all your evidence to support your case. For example a tenancy agreement which states name(s) of tenant and rent payable, bank statements if applicable, emails, text messages. Your rights depends on who is named on the tenancy agreement. Best wishes