Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
Recorders and Players

I have a Sony RDR-HX750 Hdd. It will no longer dub from HDD

to DVD. It says "Cannot... Show More
to DVD. It says "Cannot complete dub" Possible causes?
Show Less
Hello, my name is Rusty. Sorry to keep you waiting. That is not a normal message, and it sounds like it is a hardware error. Remove the disc from the unit, hold down stop and press power. That will reset your recorder and turn it off. Unplug it, and hold the power button for one full minute. This will drain any residual power and reset any hardware issue in the processor.

If it still doesn't work, there is a problem with the path from the HDD to the DVD, and it will need repair.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean that I should hold down the Stop playback or the stop record button whilst I press the power off button?

The stop play button on front of the unit, not the remote.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information. The reset seems to have worked.
For information, do you have any idea as to why it could have happened? This so we can avoid having the problem again.

Once you have replied I will be happy to give a good rating for your answer.

It's usually caused by built up static, or dust in the unit. It's common for digital equipment to act up once in a while due to static, especially in cold, and extra warm temperatures. Resetting the processor gets rid of all of the power, and gives it a fresh start. Once power goes somewhere else in the processor due to static, it's hard to get it to go back to the right spot, so we drain the power and start over, which usually fixes the problem.