Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Model No DMR-EZ48VEB Problem:- Cannot get the above machine

Model No DMR-EZ48VEB
Problem:-
Cannot get the above machine to record subtitles on a VHS tape after setting the TV screen

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

can you tell me what you're using as the source device here? Is there a cable/satellite box? Or are you using the tv's built in freeview tuner?

Customer:

I am using the tv`s built in freeview tuner

Nathan :

Ok, that is not going to be possible then. The tv will not output a video signal for the panasonic to record. The machine can record using it's own tuner, and you can then display the captions (which are encoded into the recording, but not recorded as being displayed on screen), by turning on the close caption/subtitle function on the tv it is played back on.

Customer:

why then have we always selected the subtitles fuction by pressing the st button on the TV remote then pressing the

Customer:
8:18 PM

why then have we always selected the subtitles fuction by pressing the ST button on the TV remote then pressing the Record button on the VHS recorder and walking away. When we rewind the tape to watch the programme it starts the recorded prog with the subtitles .Now if we do exactly the same procedure when the recorded programme has finished it plays the the recording perfectly but it has not recorded the subtitles which my wife who has a hearing problem reqires. can you help

Customer:

Nathan :

The issue here, as I mentioned earlier, is because the the tv is only displaying (decoding) the captions which are encoded within the video stream that the player is recording. The player is not generating the captions, and is not actually recording them overlaid on the video feed. For example if you took one of your old recordings that worked this way, and played it back on another player/tv, you would see no captions.

Nathan :

You should be able to record whatever program you want on the panasonic, and play it back on any tv you wish, provided the playback is viewed via the RF ("f" connector/tuner, meaning tv is tuned in to channel 3/4 to pick up signal). With that signal provided by the player (or even from a cable/satellite box, etc), you can then press the ST or CC button on the tv, and the tv's built in tuner will then decode/display the captions that are encoded in the recording.

Nathan :

If you are trying to use the tv with any type of a digital connection (like hdmi) or not utilizing the tv's built in tuner, then the tv can only display the signal that is provided, there is no way for the tv to decode and display captions. The tv is only showing the raw video signal it is provided, so in those cases, you'd have to enable the caption function on the source device itself (on the player/recorder, on the dvd, dvr, etc)