Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a portable dvd player (SD-P1700SE) which has not seen

I have a portable dvd player (SD-P1700SE) which has not seen much use. When I tried to use it, the disc is loading but I can get no further.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Can you explain this a little more please? Does it give you an error for example?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. All I get is disc loading or invalid disc when I have tried changing discs.

.
Invalid disc would be the error message does this happen with all discs?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, just on some of them, it's usually just continually loading

.
Ok that is not a good sign how old is it?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

about 8 years old but hardly used

.
Darn, unfortunately even if you had never used it and just opened the box today it would be out of warranty.
Have you already tried cleaning it?
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do I do that? With a disk cleaner or use an alcoholic wipe on the disc reader that you are not supposed to touch?

.
With a lens cleaning disc, what you are describing can happen because of a couple different things.
The first is lens being dirty you can use something like this to clean it: Click Here
Any local computer or electronics shop should carry them.

Unfortunately if that does not work since this is happening to all discs and none are playing it would mean the lens has failed.
In order to fix this the laser lens unit inside the player would need to be replaced.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thank you. If I need to have the laser lens unit replacing do you have any idea of cost or who to go to for it?

.
Any local electronics repair shop would be able to do it.
As for price normally around £75 but I would call around for a price.

.