Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer

We have a Humax PVR-9300 and when trying to play recorded

We have a Humax PVR-9300 and when trying to play recorded programmes, the "record" option on the menu is no longer available.
Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Its a PVR-9300T and is probably over 10 years old.
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has happened before and I have managed to "fix" it by the common method of "reboot" i.e. switch off and then switch back on but it has not worked this time.
Assistant: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO, I do not think so, I looked at the Humax website but the PVR-9300T video recorder was not even mentioned among their products.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the unit, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As mentioned yesterday, I have tried the re-boot process already without success but probably only switched off the PVR for around 10-15 secs rather than 10 minutes so I switched it off for over 10 mins this morning and switched it on again with the same result unfortunately. At the top of the menu choices is "preferences" instead of "record". Also, when the recorder is switched on with the TV switched off, the recorder usually just displays the time but now it always displays "BBC 4" together with the time as though it has become "stuck" in some way.

I want you to reset the unit, to do this

1. Power OFF the receiver (on / off button at the back of the Humax)
2. Disconnect the Aerial cable (Just the Arial cable)
3. Power On the receiver (with the Arial still disconnected)
4. Press MENU
5. Select Installation
6. Enter your password (default = 0000)
7. Select Default Setting
8. Select YES
9. Enter your password (Default = 0000)
10. When the receiver restarts, power off (turn the power off before automatic search)
11. Connect the Aerial Cable
12. Power ON - the receiver will then search for the channels.
13. Once channel search is finished a ‘Save’ option will become available,
14. Finished

Let me know how it then operates please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would prefer to try to solve the problem by written reply as I am going out of the house at regular intervals today and the first time will be in 10 mins so a written reply gives me the freedom to get involved when I have the time. Ed

No problem Ed, please do the last instructions I gave and let me know the results

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Richard, carried out your guidance and everything went as expected but still no success with access to "MENU". Only change was display now shows BBC1 and time instead of BBC four which I think is because BBC1 was the last channel on the search which was then saved,
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now going out to my "cardiac" exercise class so I will catch up after lunch. Cheers, Ed

It is the internal mainboard in the unit that has faulted, this now confirms it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Richard, thanks for your verdict which was the one which I was expecting. I bought the recorder in 2011 so it will be outside warranty now and not worth repairing. I will have to consider whether to replace it or just use iPlayer and the ITV catch-up services which were not around six years ago. I am happy to rate your assistance at 5-star as it has saved me wasting time and possibly more money. Ed