Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

Nathan Assistant: What's the make/model number of your

Hi Nathan
Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?
Customer: DMR-EX773EB approx 5 years
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Never used it to record to programs until now. I believe I have recorded a program but when I playback the TV screen is blank. If I play a DVD the. To screen shows the film just fine.
Assistant: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just the problem with playback not showing on TV screen thank you

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

After you did the recording, did you "finalize" the disc?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No disc. It records to a hard disk drive.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No live call thank you prefer to type

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session. It is not sent by me. This is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Okay I thought you were recording to dvd. Go into the panasonic menu and factory reset the unit, then try to record again please and see if it will play back.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you. Not at home until tomorrow night now.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will mail you once I have tried above. But I don’t think it’s the recording that isn’t working. It’s the playback through TV.
Will the factory reset mess anything up?

Reset won't hurt anything.

If you're playing a disc ok, then the problem is not with the connections.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Nathan
I could not find 'Factory Reset' anywhere on the DVD menu.
I did however find an option to format the HDD so I did ( which meant losing previous recordings). I then recorded a half hour program and tried to play it back. There was a change - but only in that instead of a plain black screen it was a flickering of shadows of black to light grey. Jacki

Do you have an aerial connection to the recorder?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Assume the TV is connected to aerial as per usual. DVD player/tecorder connected to tv. Manual says make sure tv is on standby or on when you record. Can’t see why DVD player should need a further aerial connection?

If you don't have a connection to it, as I had suspected, this is the root of the problem.
The panasonic cannot record anything if it does not have an input signal. The hdmi connection to your tv is only an output. The panasonic has its own internal freeview tuner, and needs an aerial connection for that to work.

You can connect the aerial to the RF input on the recorder, then another coax cable from the rf out to the tv.

You will need to run the channel scan/search function in the panasonic menu, and then it should record properly at that point.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you - will have a look at this.
The aerial is connected into the DVD player and the rf is out to the TV
I have looked into set up and selected "Add new DVB channels" as I could not see the TV guide on the DVD player. It has added 141 new channels and have set it to record something at 1.30 today. Will see what happens.
What does DVB stand for?Doesn't the hdmi function as the output to the TV OR I think there maybe a scart cable between them?
If we have to put a new cable from the rf out on the recorder - where does it go on the TV? Into the same socket that thre aerial went into?

Thank you for the info,

the channel scan is what you needed to do, and it sounds like you've accomplished that, so hopefully it will record now.

From the player to the tv you also want either scart or hdmi.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Nathan I have been out past two days but set it to record Silent Witness on Monday and Tuesday evenings. I shall check tonight if it has worked, and if we can watch it and let you know!
One quick question... do you know if there is an easier way to record the program rather than typing in the full name through the handset keyboard. It does seem rather laborious.... thank you Jacki

Thanks Jack,

you should be able to bring up the Guide, then use the arrow buttons to highlight a future show then press record.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Nathan
It worked! We have watched the recorded program.
Will try your suggestion for recording.
Thank you very much for all your help
Jacki

That is great news, Jacki, glad to hear that the recording feature is working for you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan