Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer

I have a Panasonic EVE Recorder model DMR-EZ48VEB showing

I have a Panasonic EVE Recorder model DMR-EZ48VEB showing error U81 which does not clear when I follow the suggested action. The machine seems to think it still has a DVD in it. When I put one in it tries to read but then shows NoREAD. Is there a simple solution? Can I get it repaired?

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the unit, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done what you asked - which is what I tried yesterday. The result was the same. The U81 error persists and when I try to load any DVD (not EVE!) when the machine tries to read it, there is a clunking sound about every second for about 5 seconds and then the NoREAD message comes up. The display continues to show the disk symbol on the display, even if there is no DVD in the machine. The problem occurred originally after a failed attempt to copy an old VHS video (not copy protected).

I would like you to reset the unit please, to do this, with it on, open the flap at the front of the recorder and hold the channel up and down buttons for 7 seconds then release.

Once done, set it up again and tell me how it then works please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done the set up as requested. The problem is still there; same as before. I have tried to give my phone number on line but the system didn't seem to like it. If you want to phone, the number is *****

It is the internal drive motor that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.