Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I hope you can help, I’ve read the manual inside out and

Hello Pearl. I hope you can help, I’ve read the manual inside out and can’t find what’s wrong. I have a Toshiba RDXV59DTKB2 DVD/ VHS recorder. It plays VHS cassettes with no problem and DVDs with no problem but when I try to record a standard re-recordable VHS of home movies onto a DVD using the ‘one-step” dubbing button in the centre of the machine nothing seems to be happening on the DVD side. I get a flashing red dot where the recording indicator in the display window should be and a red “D8” message. No help on the troubleshooting pages or chat forums. I am using a DVD-R which is supposed to be compatible. I also can’t get into the DVD menu or disc menu. Any ideas? It’s never been used. Ive returned all settings to factory settings and had it unplugged for an hour. Any suggestions?
Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: Hi Pearl, that was quick! What more do you need?
Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Had the machine for 3 years. Only just got round to trying to use it. So nothing happened before this really.
Assistant: Anything else you want the video expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes does it cost anything and how come you answer so fast? Like almost before I’ve finished typing! Amazing!

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

To be clear, this is a paid support service. You have paid the fees which were displayed and you agreed to when posting your question.

Can you try using one of the dvd+r discs instead and let me know if that gives the same error?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Nathan. I don’t have any dvd+r discs with me and it’s Easter Monday today. I will phone around and see if anywhere is open. It does say in the manual that dvd-r is ok tho. I could send you a pic of the relevant page if it helped. Any other ideas to try in the meantime? I have tried a number of blank discs in case I had a duff one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
DVD+r with me around 12am. Will you still be around then?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Nathan. DVD+RW inserted and tried with same results. No further forward. What can I try next?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nathan are you there? It’s saying you are online but I am wondering if my messages are not getting thru. If you are busy with someone else could you just let me know you received this. Thanks

Hello, thanks for trying. Sorry I missed you earlier, I'm in the US on a much different time zone.

If you try to record without the one step process (such as recording a live tv show off cable for example) does it have the same error?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Nathan. I completely understand, I was just worried that my messages were not getting to you as my email was acting up a bit. The toshiba is not connected up to an ‘alive’ tv. I am only using this tv as a monitor to see what is on the vhs and dvd’s. I just want it to do the one function it was bought for which was to record my home videos now on vhs to dvd. All internally, no external inputs, or other complications. ��������
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Those wired question marks were exasperated emojis. Didn’t translate!

if it will play but not record, my concern here is a hardware failure of the write laser, a common issue with these.

You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is a hardware fault, which would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Nathan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds like a good plan. It will be same time tomorrow before I get back to you as I will have to go and buy one, it’s 7.44pm here now and I’m cooking dinner! Thanks for the transatlantic help. Fingers crossed it works. Have a nice day!

You're very welcome, and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nathan, I ran the lens cleaner in the dvd tray 3 times with no change so I guess I will have to take it to the repair shop or buy a new one. Thanks for your help anyway.

Thank you for trying,

that would mean a hardware issue then unfortunately. I would not consider it worth fixing, youd' be better off buying a new one.

OR, what I'd recommend instead, is using it just for the vcr function, and then buy yourself a video capture device for your computer, and dub the tapes to your computer, which can be stored on your hard drive or burned to dvds as needed. Here is one such device to check out: https://amzn.to/2GB6HTl

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Nathan. That would be a good solution to run with and cheaper than buying a new one! Thanks again for your advice.
You’re very welcome!