Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

My DVD/VHS combi DMR-EZ49VEB will no longer accept used or

my DVD/VHS combi DMR-EZ49VEB will no longer accept used or new
JA: Who makes your media player? How old is it?
Customer: My Panasonic DVD/VHS combi recorder DMR-EZ49VEB no longer accepts DVD-RAM disks whether they are used or new.However it does accept DVD-R disks for play and record.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Panasonic media player?
Customer: I have followed instructions in your extensive book relating to FORMATTING of disks-- without success. I do note that that an almost identical model is still available while mine was purchased in2010.
JA: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Nathan