Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I have a blaupunkt TV/DVD player and suddenly the DVD will

Hello, I have a blaupunkt TV/DVD player and suddenly the DVD will no longer read a DVD although I have tried different ones. Is this something that can be fixed or will I need to buy another one
JA: What does your TV screen look like when you try to connect your digital media player? Is there anything at all displayed?
Customer: The TV screen is OK and when I press the DVD button that is OK but when I load a disc into the side slot it won't read and ejects the disc
JA: Is your digital media player connected to the TV, or is it connected to a power outlet?
Customer: It's a TV with DVD included
JA: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Nathan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Hi Nathan, I don't have a computer so don't have the compressed air, but I have already tried a cleaning disc and this was ejected as well. If its more likely a hardware fault do you think it would be cheaper to buy a new tv/DVD than to repair.. Thank you Mrs June **********

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't think I need to call as I'm pretty certain you will agree I need to replace

Thank you for the info June,

no, it is not worth repairing, as it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one.

You can keep using the tv as-is though and just connect an external dvd player, without having to buy a whole new tv.

Nathan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.... June

You're very welcome