How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now

hi i got divorced last november but at the time we never finalised

Customer Question

i got divorced last november but at the time we never finalised what was happening with the matrimonial home, we are both on a joint mortgage but my ex partner lives in the house, i have asked him to obtain the mortgage on his own but he is not eligable with the bank to do so, i do not wish to remain on the mortgage, what are my options as he is refusing to sell the house
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You are right to get your name, and the associated responsibility and liability, off of this legal document. It does you no good and only puts you at risk.

I suggest that you return to the solicitor who managed your divorce and ask him or her to resolve this. If your ex cannot buy out your share then you can force a sale.

If you don't then you will be liable for payments, lawsuits, and the effects this will have on your credit rating

Warm regards,