How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrJackiePhD Your Own Question
DrJackiePhD, Doctor
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 450
Experience:  I have been doing research in relational/interpersonal communication since 1998. My Ph.D. is in interpersonal communication.
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
DrJackiePhD is online now

Is my daughter entitled to anything if the relationship

This answer was rated:

Is my daughter entitled to anything if the relationship ends? She has been living with her boyfriend for over three years, he brought a house for them, but the deeds are in his name ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She also gave up her job to run the household.


I'm Dr. Jackie, a mental health therapist, professor, and relationship expert. It sounds like things are not good for your daughter, and I'm so sorry to hear that!

I'm not allowed to give legal advice. However, I CAN cite the law. And legally, your daughter has no claim to anything unfortunately. Since they are not married and since the deeds are in his name, nope. The only thing she can do is possibly fight eviction if he told her to leave today. She could argue that this is her home and that she actually lives there. But he could file an eviction notice and after 30 days or so, it could be enforced. But no, unfortunately it does not matter that she gave up her job, her old house, etc.

It does not sound right, I know. But unfortunately this is how it is legally if a couple is not married

DrJackiePhD and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you