TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach
64783947

I've felt like breaking up with my boyfriend of three years

I've felt like breaking up with my boyfriend of three years for months now I just don't know whether it's the right thing to do, or how to go about doing it
Assistant: The Psychologist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: I'm about to turn 22 this week and I've been with my boyfriend for three years. Ive never been seriously unhappy with him, he's never cheated or anything like that and he is so kind and caring and I know he loves me but I've just stopped loving him in that way over the past few months.
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: We always do things, we go on holidays and have the same music taste so it's not like I'm bored, I'd love to have him as a friend but I just don't think I want a relationship anymore.

Well, if you read the words you just wrote, you sound pretty clear to me that you desire to be on your own. It sounds like you want to experience other things and other people and you are young enough to do so. This has been a nagging feeling of yours and it may be time to honor those feelings. I would be open with him about how you feel and what you want and yest it might be tough and painful for both but maybe taking this time apart will give some clarity for you that it is the right thing.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Honestly, I just needed someone to tell me I wasn't being stupid or selfish about feeling this way. Thank you for your quick response.

Wanting more and new experiences isn't selfish...you are allowed to have those desires and allowed to pursue what makes you happy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks very much

My pleasure. Be well and I wish you the best.