TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach
64783947

Me and my boyfriend have been together for nearly two years

Me and my boyfriend have been together for nearly two years now and we are getting very close, we have spoken often about moving in together and we have even spoken about possible marriage, even more recently my boyfriend has been asking me somewhat half joking, half serious questions such as “if I asked you to marry me right now would you say yes?” and “if I proposed to you even with a plastic ring or even a Haribo ring, would you still say yes?” This has sparked a bit of curiosity in me, is this a way of him ‘subtly’ trying to find out if I would say yes to him in the first place, so could he be planning on proposing soon?

It sounds like it is on his mind for sure and yes he could be testing the waters, so to speak, to see if you are feeling the same things he is. What are your feelings about it all and how have you responded to him?

I await your thoughts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After he asked me this my response was yes, and I’m completely open to the idea of getting married someday, I would like to speak to him about it further, but I never know how to bring up the subject with him without sounding too eager, he’s had a couple of bad relationships in the past plus he occasionally suffers from anxiety and I don’t want to make him think I’m becoming pushy.

Maybe he is looking to know if you are rready sooner than someday. I would go back to him and let him know you have been thinking of his questions to you about it and wanted to check in where he is on things...that could open the door to a wonderful conversation to figure out where things are for both of you.