Tori, Psychologist
Tori, Psychologist, Psychologist
Experience:  Work/Coaching Psychologist & Therapist
105912372

I'm training to be a therapist, I'm halfway there although

I'm training to be a therapist, I'm halfway there although have not had any clients in face to face setting yet.
One thing that does potentially bother meare being reminded of my own past trauma. What is the best way to get around being troubled by traumatic memories when clients raise similar issues?
I've had counselling a couple of times for this issue, it helps for a period of time but the response is still there at times.
I want to be able to.move forward without this affecting my life now.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
This is not techinically relationship, the categories were a bit blurred.

Hi, I hope I can offer some help with your question.

Depending on the type of therapy you are studying, it can often be addressed by asking students to undertake their own personal therapy to address and resolve these issues, o that this reduces the risk of counter-transference onto the client of your own personal issues. Being aware of this possibility and monitoring and responding to your feelings in these situations can be the best way to deal with them, rather than trying to ignore this, as this would not be being congruent with your client.

Our own experiences can actually make you a better therapist, as long as you can make the distinction between your own feelings and your own experiences, and those of your clients, and can focus fully on their needs, their experiences, and what is best for them in the moment, only drawing on your personal experiences to help you empathise and guide the support you offer, rather than projecting your experiences, or responses onto them, or assuming that they are the same.

It can also be considered appropriate, if you are particularly triggered by anything that your clients bring up, to share this with them, as long as this is done appropriately, and with a view to being congruent with them, and not done in such a way as to change the focus onto yourself, or to in anyway take attention away from your client.