Robert
Robert, Renault Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

How likely is it for a cambelt to fail without any warning

Customer Question

How likely is it for a cambelt to fail without any warning signs on the onboard computer/console? Megame 07 Reg - no notifications on last Service and MOT (10 months ago?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Renault
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I'm RJ.

Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

Which engine do you have? and how many Kms

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1.6 Megane. Reg KS07DDZ
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
117,000 always serviced and MOT'd on time
No issues at all with any form of misfiring etc etc and no warning signs on the dashboard. Ran smooth as always then lost power and had to get diagnosed by the RAC. I am covered for £750 or parts and labour and have checked their small print - I feel they will try and say it is wear and tear - however, there would be signs of this prior (I believe) - of which there were not
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

It is unusual for a the timing belt to just fail. However, it does happen from time to time. Has the timing belt been changed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My understanding is that it was replaced at 80,000 miles when we bought the car but we have no proof of this - I will try and locate the original advertisement - which was from a dealer that is reliable and who we have purchased other cars from. The car is used to commute to and from a farm - so perhaps debris got in the engine. My fear is that the RAC will try and say it was wear and tear, my arguement would be that there would obviously be signs of this. I have checked myself on-line and there is much to say about when you know it is going wrong etc but not in this case.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There were no disabled icons or notifications on the car's computer so I am wondering why it would 'just' happen. The car will get diagnosed properly by Halfords on Monday (RAC approved mechanic) but again, they may not be able to confirm the nature - or why it was not showing signs etc
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

The recommended service life of the cam belt is 60,000 miles or 5 years. It sounds like this belt was in the normal life. Often times at the end of their life they will stretch and jump teeth. That is why it will start to run poorly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I get this Rob, but there were no signs of this - we'd have experienced it. The car didn't have a massive load, wasn't going up hill and had no trailer. If it went to a renault dealer do you think they would diagnose it more efficiently than the PAC (Halfords)?
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

In general when the belt breaks without being over due for a change there would not be any lights or warnings. As the car sees it, it is running perfect and then there is a catastrophic failure.

Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

I think that Renault would be in a better position to correctly diagnose due to the fact they are working on them day in and day out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK thanks Rob - I may need your details should the RAC start trying to dodge the payment of the cover I have for this (as I believe it was not accidental). Only as someone that deals with repairing Renault cars and that it is possible for a catastrophic failure without warning signs etc etc on the dashboard. I may need to contact you for a couple of questions when Halfords have looked at it Tue/Wed. I take it you have an online account with contact details etc.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK so if I needed a second diagnosis, Renault are the people. Ironically the RAC would not let me send it to Renault, only their approved mechanics...
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

I don't have outside contact. I work in the US so I don't think my certifications will be valid to RAC

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah Rob, I need to know though that you are actual mechanic though!
Work address would be fine - even if in the US
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

I changed careers about two years ago. My current employment is not in automotive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That'll be problem then.
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

If you would like I can Opt out and open the question to an other expert.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says that you are a Renault Mechanic - so if you opt out I'll ask another. Thanks. Neil
Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

I apologize. I will open the question back up.

Expert:  RJ replied 1 month ago.

ffbx

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 month ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am willing to wait for an answer but it is essential that they are actually a current Renault mechanic.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your mechanic automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer. Sorry for any delay.

Dear customer, I have just taken your query, I would like to offer you my position as CEO of a mechanical multiservice garage in Venezuela, besides being a specialist in automotive mechanics and being a mechanical engineering student studying in the last semester, I am also a mechanic in the city of Medellin Colombia in the which i have worked day in and day out with Renault because in my town in Medellin is renault has its main assembler.

Dear customer verifying your query, i noted that you are talking about the replacement belt being replaced, my colleague Rob is absolutely right to tell you that it have to be replaced every 60000 miles but I would like to point out that not only is the timing belt replaced but all the cam belt kit must be replaced. the kit is made up of the tensioner and the timing belt when only the belt is replaced, the tensioner can fail causing it to stay stuck starting or breaking the belt in an unexpected way, so you have to verify if this was what happened .
On the other hand dear customer I can not receive calls because of the place at the moment, I am only able to communicate by this means.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no further confusion - or wasted time - I need to know that you are a current mechanic that works for Renault. If this is not the case, because of the complexity of my query and the detail I need, please say so or back up so the question can be answered by someone who is.

Dear customer, i am observing the level that you require and you perhaps will need to make calls and also have all the certifications at hand and i do not have the certifications here with me nor talk by phone so, i will opt out to let another expert attend you at the level you need. I will have your query present.
Regards.

Expert:  oleksandrav-mod replied 1 month ago.
Oleksandra-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not really getting what I am paying for here and need the amount I paid to be refunded as have not been able to get an answer to my question within a suitable time frame, from registered users who claim to be mechanics. Please do the needful.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
39;m not really getting what I am paying for here and need the amount I paid to be refunded as have not been able to get an answer to my question within a suitable time frame, from registered users who claim to be mechanics. Please do the needful.